Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It's grayish. Will it rain soon? In an hour or so I will walk about two miles, and I would prefer not to get wet.

Recently I play chess on Internet again, on Polish server "Kurnik". I got to the yellow ranking for a short while. First I got exactly 1500, then I won one game more and climbed to 1510, then I won another game, and climbed to... I don't know, than I lost 4 games in a row, in two sittings before I won one game. Oops, I still played more. Anyway, I am now only a miserable (:-) 1459. I won 44, drew 3, and lost 28 games. This positive proportion means only that my opponents had on average lower rating than me. The correlation between the won/lost ratio and ranking is weak. I'd rather have a negative won-lost score but play stronger opposition. Ironically, I had a clean score against my three top opponents, and even now I have a very positive score against my five top rated opponents:

opp r | won-drew-lost
 1720 | 1 0 0
 1699 | 1 0 0
 1668 | 2 3 0
 1651 | 1 0 0
 1615 | 2 1 0

Against the next one I played three blitz games. The first two were 5m, and I had no chance. In the third one, played at the 7m control, I had a good game but I was not good enough to carry it to success. I wish, we played more 7m games but it was already nice for a strong player to play me 3 games. Thus the next two entries, sorted by the rating of my opponents, look like this:

1612 | 0 0 3
1600 | 1 0 1

Next, my score is mixed until the tail of the list, occupied by weak players. Against the last 19 players I won 20 games, drew 2, and lost 5. I have a minimal, negative score against just two of them, 0-0-1.

I should stop lurking on poetic Internet places. On the Polish ones I even post occasionally. That's not a good way to get away, but, say, do I want to all the way to the end.

Knol trivia. I'll restrict my table tnow to 3+ votes (the ones rated only once or twice make a better impression :-).

      knol title     | rat | #vt | views | description
==================================================================
Mathematics -- index | 5 | 6 | 608 | my mthKnolsIndex
M sp univ for 2pt sp | 4 | 5 | 143 | metric spaces
Euclid-Heron             | 4 | 4 | 87 | triangle area, geom
Math -- two def-s        | 4 | 3 | 106 | mth, general
Top sp & cnt maps      | 4 | 3 | 66 | set topology, intro
Top.--the int. oper. | 5 | 3 | 43 | set topology

Ooooph, that's all. Time to go (and get soaked in the rain--I hope not).

No comments: