Friday, July 6, 2007

meeting a great man (part 2)

Professor gave me his notes to read. He was making a steady progress in a nice, tasty, delicate style, introducing neat notions on his way. On the other hand, the whole task was infinitely simpler than what he has done in the past; the problem was well within the framework of elementary computer science, it could have been an exercise for bright high school kids, or for undergraduates, or for the beginning graduate students; furthermore, Professor didn't know, and the company didn't recognize that I have already solved that problem for them; more than that, with their programmer, the two of us have programmed my solution; furthermore--with my brother, we programmed the inverse problem, which was significantly harder (but still not such a big deal). The company had the working code from us, the two of us and their programmer had tested our program.

Professor knows and has achieved in the past a zillion times more than me; the result, for which he is famous, will be a jewel of the history of mathematics forever; but these days a single man, even when he's as outstanding as him, knows only a fraction of what science and technology has to offer.

Also, Professor was not exactly young at the time. He is older than me, while I was at the time not just old, and not even ancient, but already archaeological.

No comments: