Friday, July 6, 2007

meeting a great man

The last time I met a great mathematician, I'll call him Professor, was five and a half years ago, under weird circumstances. We both had consulted (independently) for a company owned and run by a crazy guy, whose obsession was to be famous for a scientific and technological break through. Unfortunately, the owner's idea was obviously totally wrong, much more obviously wrong than Perpetuum Mobile.

It was also the last time I made some money (actually, good money, which is another story). Professor made good money too but I am not sure if he got everything which they owed him (the company was a bit less stable than Microsoft or Google).

I'd seen Professor only for two days. It was enough to observe his modest but dignified, diplomatic conduct, and quiet, systematic way of working. I said "diplomatic" because Professor would never say anything critical about the company's technological trust. He just would say nothing except for calling it "NN's technology", with just a slight smile. I was telling them, all the time, that their effort does not make sense. Professor acted in a much more mature way. They didn't ask him about their "technology", hence he didn't volunteer his opinion. He was only concerned about his own task, which he had treated seriously. He came to the office in the morning, then he worked the full day. Day after day (I don't know for how long).

***

It's nearly 4am. I'll continue later.

No comments: